Grotto Planter and Sign
Near the fish pond, there are two large structures, perched atop pillars of rock. One is reminiscent of a Roman ruin, a post and lintel construction. The larger is a sort of entrance sign for the Grotto Gardens, and was built by Father Wagner in 1933. The asymmetrical, rugged and precarious design of these planters seems ahead of their time, kind of funky and futuristic like the pop-culture rusticism of House on the Rock or a Googie-style coffee shop.
presented by Minnesota Museum of the Mississippi